SARAN DIVISION HISTORY

 

In ancient days , Modern  Saran Division, formed a part of KOSALA country. The history of Saran Division is bound to be history of  Kosala which included portions other than present limit of Saran Division. The kingdom of Kosala  was bounded on the west  by Panchala, by the river  Sarpika(sai)  in the south, on the east  by Gandak and  on the north by Nepal . The Kosala  consisted  of modern Faizabad, Gonda, Basti, Gorkhapur, Deoria in UP and Saran in Bihar. 

 

The historical background of the district- as available in the 'Ain-E-Akbari records Saran as one of the six Sarkars( Revenue Divisions) constituting the province of Bihar, At the time of grant of Diwani to the East India company in 1765, there were eight Sarkars including Saran and Champaran. These two were later combined to form a single unit named Saran. Saran(along with Champaran) was included in the Patna Division when the Commissioner's Divisions were set up in 1829. It was separated from Champaran in 1866 when it (Champaran) was constituted into a separate district. Saran was made a part of Tirhut Division when latter was created in 1908. By this time there were three subdivisions in this district namely Saran, Siwan and Gopalganj. In 1981 each subdivision of the old Saran district became an independent district and constituted part of Saran Division. 

  

Various hypothesis have been put forward about the origin of the name SARAN. General Cunningham suggested that Saran was earlier known as SARAN or asylum which was a name given to a stupa (Pillar) built by emperor Ashoka. Another view holds that the name SARAN has been derived from SARANGA- ARANYA or the deer forest, the district being famous for its wide expanses of forest and deer in prehistoric times. The earliest authentic historical fact or record concerning this district may perhaps be related to 898 A.D which suggest that the village of Dighwara dubauli in Saran had supplied a copper plate issued in the reign of king Mahendra paldeva.

 

The district of Saran is situated between 2536' and 2613' North latitude and 8424' and 8515' East longitude in the southern post of the newly created Saran Division of North Bihar. The Ganges constitute the Southern boundary of the district beyond which lie the districts of Bhojpur and Patna. To the north of Saran lie districts of Siwan and Gopalganj. The Gandak forms the dividing line with vaishali and Muzaffarpur district in the east. To the west of Saran lies district of Siwan and the district of Balia in Uttar Pradesh, the Ghaghra constituting a natural boundary between Saran and Ballia.

 

Chapra district is lying between 25-39 and 26-14N and 84-23 and 85-12 E. Siwan district is bounded on the west by the Gorakhpur district of Uttar Pradesh, on the North and North-West by the Gopalganj district, On the East and South-East by the Sadar Sub-division and on the South by the river Gogra. Gopalganj lying  between 26-12 and 26-39 N and 83-54 and 84-55E with an area of 786 Square miles. It was bounded on the East by the Gandak river, on the South by the Siwan  , on the north by Gorakhpur districts in Uttarpradesh.

 

HISTORY OF SARAN DISTRICT

 

 The historical background of the district as available in Ain-E-Akbari records Saran as one of the six Sarkars( Revenue Divisions) constituting the province of Bihar, At the time of grant of Diwani to the East India company in 1765, there were eight Sarkars including Saran and Champaran. These two were later combined to form a single unit named Saran. Saran(along The historical background of the district- as available in thewith Champaran) was included in the Patna Division when the Commissioner's Divisions were set up in 1829. It was separated from Champaran in 1866 when it (Champaran) was constituted into a separate district. Saran was made a part of Tirhut Division when latter was created in 1908. By this time there were three subdivisions in this district namely Saran, Siwan and Gopalganj. In 1972 each subdivision of the old Saran district became an independent district. The new Saran district after separation of Siwan and Gopalganj still has its headquarters at Chapra.

 

 Various hypothesis have been put forward about the origin of the name SARAN. General Cunningham suggested that Saran was earlier known as SARAN or asylum which was a name given to a stupa (Pillar) built by emperor Ashoka. Another view holds that the name SARAN has been derived from SARANGA- ARANYA or the deer forest, the district being famous for its wide expanses of forest and deer in prehistoric times. The earliest authentic historical fact or record concerning this district may perhaps be related to 898 A.D which suggest that the village of Dighwara dubauli in Saran had supplied a copper plate issued in the reign of king Mahendra paldeva.ss

GEOGRAPHIC ALLOCATION

The district of Saran is situated between 2536' and 2613' North latitude and 8424' and 8515' East longitude in the southern post of the newly created Saran Division of North Bihar. The Ganges constitute the Southern boundary of the district beyond which lie the districts of Bhojpur and Patna. To the north of Saran lie districts of Siwan and Gopalganj. The Gandak forms the dividing line with vaishali and Muzaffarpur district in the east. To the west of Saran lies district of Siwan and the district of Balia in Uttar Pradesh, the Ghaghra constituting a natural boundary between Saran and Ballia.

 

              The district is shaped like a triangle with its apex at the confluence of  boundary of Gopalganj district and Gandak-Ganga river there are three rivers namely the Ganga, Ghaghra, Gandak which encircle the district from south north east and western side respectively. The district is entirely constituted of plains but there are quite a few depressions and marshes, which cause the formation of three broad natural divisions.

                     I.  The alluvial plains along the big rivers which are subjected to  periodic   inundation and prone to floods.

                    II.  The region of uplands away from the rivers and not subject to  floods.

 

                   III.  The diara areas in the beds of the great rivers.

 

 Out of twenty blocks in the districts, Six blocks viz Sonepur, Dighwara, Revelganj, Chapra, Manjhi and Dariyapur are affected by floods regularly. There are six partially flood affected blocks Viz.  Garkha, Parsa, Marhoura, Amnaur, Jalalpur, and Ekma. The remaining blocks are free from floods.  The soil of the district is alluvial. No mineral of economic value is found in the district.

HOME